In Memoriam: Shipmates who have Crossed the Bar since the 2013 reunion:
Forrest Strickland, AB/V1/Korea;
1. "Peg" Reese is the daughter of Augustus N Reese, an AM who was aboard Bataan during WWII. She would like to communicate with anyone who knew her father while he was stationed on Bataan. If you knew her dad please let me know firstname.lastname@example.org and I will put you in contact with "Peg".
2. Nate Almond was a member of VT50 when that squadron was undergoing training in Klamath Falls, OR in 1944. He is familiar with an incident that occured wherein the Squadron Skipper and a crewman named Hergut were killed. He is interested in learning the name of the Squadron Skipper. If you are able to identify the Squadron Skipper, please relay that info to email@example.com and I will put you in contact with him.
3. Ms Marsha Metoyer is attempting to locate shipmates of her father, Anthony Ernest Metoyer, who was assigned to the S2 Division on Bataan during 1944-45. Last names of other members of the division are: Willingham, Porter, Brown, Osborne, Williams, Carter, Rand, Wilson, Chambers, Anderson, Blanks, Beavers, Boone, Shields, Alston, Payne, Page, Nedd, Davis, Shaw, Brake, Bonds, Roberts, Carruth, Wooten, Batmon, Love, Sneed, Alexander and Ross. If you can assist Marsha in her search for her father's shipmates , please contact me at the web masters e-mail address.
4. Max R Westbrook is searching for info on his Uncle, Robert L. Westbrook III, AKA "Westy". "Westy" was an Naval Aviator who flew from Bataan during WWII. He was lost in combat off the Shima Island Group in April 1945. If you knew "Westy" or knew of his career while on board Bataan, and would like to share it with Max, please let me know and i will put you in contact with him.
5. Michelle Deal is searching for information regarding her father, Charles A "Chuck" Mathews, who passed away on June 16, 1974. He joined the USS Bataan (CVL-29) In Philadelphia prior to commissioning- a Plankowner, and was a Boiler Tender 1st Class assigned to "B" division. If you knew "Chuck" and have information which you would like to share with Michelle, please let me know firstname.lastname@example.org and I will put you in contact with her.
6. Laura Poepper Avello is searching for information regarding her father, James R Poepper, who is deceased. She desires to communicate with anyone her knew her father on the Bataan during WWII. Our records indicate that he held the rank of LTjg, but the Association has no record regarding his Department or Air Group Assignment. If you know of her father please contact me at email@example.com , and I will put you in contact with Laura.
NOTE: The "Survivors of the Bataan Death March" , descendant's group may be accessed at: www.dg-adbc.org/
1. The Navy Archive Section has made available 200 pieces of USS Bataan (CVL-29) Flight Deck planking. The pieces are approximately 6 inches long, 4 inches wide and 1 inch thick. ANY MEMBER who served on the USS Bataan (CVL-29), who desires a "plank", should send $3.00 to Dick Weaver to cover the cost of mailing (first come-first served). Send request to 170 Saint Andrews Loop, Kerrville, TX 78028. Originally planks were available only to "Plankowners", however, as is readily apparent, our numbers are rapidly diminishing, and we would like to distribute the remaining planks to those members of the crew that survive.
2. NAVY MEMORIAL OFFERING FREE LOG ENROLLMENT: The Navy Memorial is offering FREE Navy Log Enrollment to Sea Service Members, active and veterans. The Navy Memorial in trying to broaden the outreach to all Navy service personnel, has made their "Navy Log" web based record system available to every one for FREE. To enter your information about your U. S. Navy and/or U.S. Marine Corps service, ships and stations, awards and picture, log in to http://www.lonesailor.org/ and click on the "Become a Member/Enroll in the "Navy Log" link. Follow the links for free enrollment. You can also call toll free at (800) NAVYLOG for more information.
3. It's official, DD-214's are now available Online-The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214's http://vetrecs.archives.gov/ . If veterans do not have a computer which permits Online access, most libraries do provide Online service where you may access the site with the above http access address.
4. Cliff Fanning is endorsing a book titled "Clash of the Carriers" (The Marianas Turkey Shoot), written by Barrett Tillman in 2005. This book includes information regarding many USS Bataan (CVL-29) operations in the Pacific and the individuals that flew from CVL-29. It includes information on those that were lost in combat action, and are memorialized in our annual Bataan Association memorial service.
5. Richard Hibbs, the last surviving U.S. Marine of the Bataan Death March, died on February 26,2007. Richard was one of approximately 200 Marines involved in the march, and was later transported to Japan by ship and liberated at the end of WWII. His son, also Richard "Dick" Hibbs, is a medical doctor and retired Navy Captain who resides in Shreveport, LA.
Number of Visits
Send email to
questions or comments about this web site.